Below are some helpful law articles that highlight issues related to small and mid-sized businesses, family-owned businesses, business tax issues, and real estate. For more information on each of these areas, check out our Frequently Asked Questions or explore the practice areas of our website.
- A New Form of Business Entity in Illinois
- Franchising: Is it the right option for your business?
- Consolidating Management of Business or Property Using an LLC or Family Limited Partnership
- Hiring a lawyer before starting a franchise could save you down the road
- What is the right business entity to use for your new business?
- Watch out for this if you are an S-Corporation
- Is Your Family Business Sustainable?
- Trend in Non-Competition Agreements
- Noncompete Provisions Can Undermine Future Opportunities
- Fired workers also have rights
- New ADA Regs Change the Employment Landscape
- The Meaning Behind the Confusing Alphabet Soup of Business Ownership
- You own the business; should you own the space?
- Investigation and Self Protection Prudent when hiring contractors
- What’s New This Year for Employers
- Major Changes Governing Brokers
- The Many Reasons To Have An Employee Handbook
- The Importance of a Team to the Growth of Your Business
Partnership & Shareholders Disputes
- Resolving Partnership Disputes
- Like a marriage, a new business partnership needs a ‘pre-nup’
- Tricky business ‘divorcing’ a business partner
Buying or Selling a Domain
- Does a Buy Sell Agreement Make Sense?
- Preparing Your Business For Sale
- Is Buying a Franchise Your Best Option?
- Warranties, Representations Protect Buyer
- Plan ahead when selling your business to get the best price
Business Succession Planning
- How to keep the business in the family – or not June 2010
- Why Have Share Transfer Restrictions for Closely Held Corporations (or even LLC’s)
- When Should Owners Develop An Exit Strategy?
Business Tax Planning
- Year-End Tax Planning for Businesses
- Another Type of Audit is Coming for Certain Businesses
- Is Foreclosure the Only Answer?
- When vacation home becomes ‘domicile’
- Ask A Tax Professional Before Losing or Walking Away from Your Home
- Is Now the Right Time to Buy Rather Than Lease?
- The Pitfalls of Investing in Real Estate
- For the Love of the Land
Additional Law Articles
- Watch What You Put On Facebook—It May Come Back to Haunt You Later
- Beware of Advertisements on Tax Reductions
- Your Attorney Is Your Trusted Advisor
- Not Easy, But Being Green Is the Hottest, Trendiest
- Working out issues with your lender
- What Kind of FDIC Coverage Do You Have?
- What is Your Company’s Policy on Employee’s Use of Computers (And Why Is It Important)?